Wednesday, June 15, 2011

MY SUMMER PLAYLIST

So, today on SiriusXM OutQ's The Morning Jolt with Larry Flick, I talked about a lot of great summer songs.  We didn't even get to all of the ones I wanted to play.  But here's the list of what I had in mind.

Bruce Springsteen - "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" from 2007's Magic


Blake Shelton - "Honey Bee" from his upcoming album, Red River Blue, which comes out next month.
The Beach Boys - "Surfin' U.S.A." I could have picked a number of their songs. 2003's The Very Best Of The Beach Boys: The Sounds Of Summer is a good place to start with The Beach Boys.


The Chantays - "Pipeline" you don't think you know it, but you know it.  One of the most well known surf rock songs ever. It's hard to find, but you can download it.  I have it on a various artists collection called Big Waves (Five Decades Of Surf Rock)


Chuck Berry - "Carol" again, there's a hell of lot of songs here I could have gone with. To me, The Great Twenty-Eight is the best Chuck collection, but I don't think you can find it.  But the Gold compilation is great too.


Sly & The Family Stone - "Hot Fun In The Summertime" is really one of the best summer songs ever. If you're just starting with Sly, the Greatest Hits collection pictured above is well titled, but I think it's out of print.  You can find The Essential Sly & The Family Stone though.


Peter Gabriel - "Sledgehammer" from So was a monster hit when I was in high school, and I never got tired of it.


The Police - "Every Breath You Take" from Synchronicity, see "Sledgehammer," but I did get tired of it at one point.


Asia - "Heat Of The Moment" was such a great song. I just ordered the album on Amazon.  I am embarrassed to say that I didn't have it.  It might be possible that I had it on cassette and never upgraded. I don't like much of what they did after their debut, but damn, that debut was pretty great.


The Cars - "Magic" is so summer... even if Ric Ocasek didn't sing "summer, summer, summer!" in the song.   It's from their 1987 album Heartbeat City.


Ben Harper - "Steal My Kisses," which is a collaboration with former Roots beatbox Rahzel. Probably the closest Ben has come to having a hit, it's from Burn To Shine.


Craig Mack featuring The Notorious B.I.G., LL Cool J and Busta Rhymes - "Flava In Ya Ear (remix)" That sample is just incredible, amazing song and everyone was in top form on their verses. I downloaded this - it's from a Bad Boy 10th anniversary collection.


Black Sheep - "The Choice Is Yours (Revisited)" was recently used in a commercial, for good reason, it's timeless. This one I have on a various artists collection called Hip-Hop Gold.


The Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Give It Away" is still one of the funkiest grooves ever. From their best album, 1991's Bloodsugarsexmagik.


The Kinks - "Sunny Afternoon" is just another great Ray Davies song. It's from the 1966 Face To Face album, which will be reissued later this month.


Willie Nelson - "Whiskey River" just because. From 1973's Shotgun Willie.


The Zac Brown Band - "Toes (Live from Bonnaroo)" available on iTunes.

The Cocktail Slippers - "In The City" from their 2009 classic St. Valentine Day's Massacre.

The Jessica Fletchers - "Summer Holiday and Me" from their 2005 album Less Sophistication.

There are tons of songs I've missed here - I don't have anything from Van Halen for instance, another great summer band, or Creedence Clearwater Revival.  But let me know what your favorite summer songs are in the comments section!

2 comments:

Mina Lobo said...

From my youth, it was Bananarama's "Cruel Summer." More recently, Eagle Eye Cherry reminds me of a peculiar bit of heartache in 1998 with "Save Tonight," Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy" inevitably reminds me of going to see "The Lake House" in the summer of 2006, and in 2009 my heart thumped to Yeah Yeah Yeah's "Heads Will Roll," (I heart that video SO MUCH!).

B. Ives said...

Hi Mina, thanks for reading and commenting. I can't believe I forgot Gnarls Barkley's Crazy! But I love the other two songs you mentioned also. I hope you enjoy my blog - come back soon!