Wednesday, February 23, 2011

LEMMY - 49% MF, 51% SON OF A BITCH

The Lemmy documentary is finally out on DVD and BluRay. Lemmy: 49% Motherfucker, 51% Son Of A Bitch covers his early life, his days in Hawkwind and of course Motorhead, as well as his status as an icon, his fixation with nazi memorabilia, his love of rockabilly and early rock and roll, and the many women he has had trysts with.

You know me, I really only care about the music, and this film is a great argument for Lemmy and Motorhead's incredible influence. James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett, Robert Trujilio, Jason Newstead, Dave Grohl, Henry Rollins, Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, Slash, Mike Inez, Mick Jones of The Clash, Peter Hook of Joy Division, Lars Fredericksen of Rancid and many others gave testimonials to the band's impact. I definitely believe that heavy metal would be different had Motorhead not existed. But, Lars Fredericksen and Rollins and members of The Damned point out, his influence extended well beyond metal into punk rock as well.

I have to say, I find his nazi stuff collection off-putting. He says that he's the farthest thing from a nazi, using the fact that he's had eight black girlfriends as proof.  I don't know that that's a really great argument, and I'd really like to know why he is so into that stuff, but on the other hand, Lemmy doesn't really need to explain himself to anyone.

I haven't gotten around to watching the extras - what I really want to see is Metallica's set of Motorhead covers as "The Lemmys" for Lemmy's 50th birthday.

No comments: