Wednesday, August 25, 2010

GUITAR WORLD'S 30 COOLEST GUITARISTS - NO IOMMI?

As I've mentioned before, I love lists.  I just caught up with last month's issue of Guitar World, and they feature a list of the "30 Coolest Guitarist of All Time" which is a weird thing for a magazine like that to have. Don't get me wrong, I love Guitar World, I buy it all the time and I don't even play guitar. They do great interviews that you don't have to be a musician to appreciate. Anyway, no reason to overthink it - it's a fun piece. The list contains a lot of who you would expect: Joe Perry (who is on the cover with "Synyster Gates" of Avenged Sevenfold who also made the list), Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Keith Richards and Eddie Van Halen. Plus guys who really belong there, like Buddy Guy, Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Frank Zappa and T-Bone Walker (but no John Lee Hooker!). And there were some less obvious choices, like Brian Setzer, Joe StrummerMike Ness and James Williamson of The Stooges (but not Ron Asheton!).  The one thing I really couldn't get over was that Tony Iommi wasn't included.  He has the best riffs, and he is the coolest! But that's the fun thing about lists I guess, arguing about them!

No comments: