Sunday, April 11, 2010

ANNABELLA LWIN REMEMBERS MALCOLM McLAREN

I didn't write about the death of punk rock and new wave svengali Malcolm McLaren: it seemed to get a ton of press, and I didn't have much to add. I think of him kind of like Col. Tom Parker - you can't deny that what he did helped to move popular music foward, but on the other hand, I don't romanticize him.  But Bow Wow Wow singer Annabella Lwin eulogized him in a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly, and I thought it was interesting and also sweet.  She said, "Malcolm McLaren recognized something within me I didn’t even know I was capable of. I don’t think I would have been the singer that I am today, if it hadn’t been for him, even long after I had an association with him on a professional level. I’m so grateful to have known somebody like him. I would have been a different kind of artist — I would have been a put together, pre-packaged kind of artist."  That's a talent in and of itself, for sure. I wonder how many managers are like that these days.

No comments: