Monday, February 15, 2010

THOM YORKE DISSES PETER GABRIEL DISSES GENESIS

I've written about Peter Gabriel's upcoming album, Scratch My Back, where he covers songs by other artists.  He's also hoping to put together an album of those same artists covering his songs.  That may not happen: the NME reports that he's worried that Thom Yorke may not be digging his version of Radiohead's "Street Spirit (Fade Out)." That's got to sting: he's always seemed a bit obsessed with having cred among younger rockers. 

On the other hand, he's always been very cavalier about the band where he got his start: Genesis. The AP reports that he won't be at the band's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. That's a bummer: I could understand his not wanting to perform. He has talked about his one reunion with the band in the '80s: they didn't really rehearse, and apparently it wasn't really that good. But I think it would be have been cool for his former bandmates, and the fans, for him to at least show up.

2 comments:

Kent said...

I am a huge fan of Genesis' albums, up to and including The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. That the band continued to have relevance without both him and his artistic stylings must burn him a bit. I would gladly shake his hand to let him know how much I loved those early days of Genesis; he has to extend it in public first.

B. Ives said...

I'm a big fan of the Gabriel-era Genesis lineup as well. The last two - Selling England By The Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - are my favorites. I also love the post-Gabriel Genesis, it is such a different band, and often-critically-panned, but still. Best of all is Gabriel's solo stuff which I prefer to Genesis, and I think he deserves induction for his solo career more than anything. But still, I wish he would pay respect to his former band.