Thursday, August 27, 2009

TRENT REZNOR ON CHRIS CORNELL

So, earlier this year, Trent Reznor was really critical of Chris Cornell's Scream album, which was produced by Timabland. It bummed me out a bit, because I am a huge fan of both artists (Trent and Chris, that is, although Timba has definitely created some songs that I enjoy). And I like some of the songs on Scream, although, admittedly, it doesn't hold up to Chris' greatest moments with Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, or even Audioslave and some of his better solo stuff from the past. In a new interview, Trent elaborated on his comments. He said that when Nine Inch Nails were on Interscope, the same label that Cornell is on, and that label head Jimmy Iovine always was trying to get him to record with Timbaland or Pharell, or whoever was the hot producer of the moment - just to get him on the radio. "I think that when somebody who is respected like he is goes that route, it sends the message that it's OK to give up any kind of core values you had to be the fashion of the moment. I don't think that's OK." I respect that, even though Trent himself has done a remix for Puff Daddy, and wanted to work with Dr. Dre at one point (Dre mixed a song on The Fragile). Read the whole interview here.

I doubt Trent would be impressed that Chris just announced a partnership with Virgin Airlines, who will play Scream on their flights.

No comments: