Wednesday, August 26, 2009

TOMORROW ON OUTQ: DE LA SOUL, PIXIES, STONE ROSES, BOWIE ANNIVERSARIES

Tomorrow on OutQ, I'll be discussing some
classic albums that celebrate their anniversaries this year.

The Pixies' doolittle celebrates its 2oth, and the band is touring to mark the occasion. I remember buying the album while I was in college after reading a review. It was like the Violent Femmes' debut, which I discovered while in high school: it sounded exotic, like it was from another planet. I didn't love doolittle at first, but I somehow knew that if I gave it time, I would. Earlier tonight I ran 3 miles while listening to it: it was like having a caffine overdose. It was incredible. It is fast and slow, loud and quiet, beautiful and ugly.

de la soul's 3 Feet High and Rising is also 20. They're touring as well; I wrote about this album recently.

The Stone Roses' self-titled debut: also 20. 1989 was a good year. No tour there, but their label is putting out a super deluxe reissue with demos, b-sides, a DVD of a concert from the era, and all thier videos.

The Cult is playing Love in its entirety on their current tour. That album came out 24 years ago, and they've just put out a deluxe reissue.

Finally, David Bowie's Space Oddity is getting a 40th anniversary reissue. I don't think it's one of his better albums, but I will probably check that one out as well.

No comments: