Wednesday, August 26, 2009

MOTOWN'S 50 MOST POPULAR SONGS

Motown has been celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. Motown's story is such an astonishing one. The artist roster is unmatched. Smokey. Stevie. The Supremes. Marvin. The Tops. The Temps. What can you really say about Motown that hasn't been said? Anyway, Motown took a poll on their website to find out what their most popular songs were for a collection called Motown 50 Fanthology, which comes out September 1. The Temptations' "My Girl" took first place, followed by Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On," and then "Let's Get It On." The Temps were at #4 with "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)" and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles were at #5 with "The Tracks Of My Tears." I was fortunate enough to interview Smokey about Motown's history last summer and some of the excerpts of it can be seen inthe below video. It was one of the major honors of my life to sit and talk with the man about the history of Motown.

No comments: