Tuesday, March 3, 2009

HOW COULD SUBLIME REUNITE?

I don't think that Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic should ever get together, play music and call themselves "Nirvana." Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them play music together, but it just wouldn't be Nirvana. Similarly, I don't want to see Bud Gaugh and Eric Wilson play with anyone else and call it "Sublime." Those guys did play together for a few years after Sublime frontman/songwriter Brad Nowell passed away -- they called themselves The Long Beach Dub Allstars, and they played a fair amount of Sublime music. And that's fine. I think they should be able to celebrate the music they made together. I just don't think it is still "Sublime," any more than Pearl Jam performing "Crown Of Thorns" is Mother Love Bone.

But anyway, last night, Eric Wilson and a singer called "Rome" joined Bud Gaugh onstage at a club in Reno and called it "Sublime." Gaugh was playing with his band Del Mar, and after that, they did the Sublime thing. Read about it here.

And don't bug me about comparing Sublime to Nirvana. Sublime were a really cool band, it's not their fault that Sugar Ray or whoever copied their style any more than it's Nirvana's fault that Bush existed. Plus, Bud Gaugh played with Krist in a band called Eyes Adrift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really wouldn't compare Sublime to Nirvana so much if I were you.

B. Ives said...

they are both trios from the '90s fronted by singer-songwriter-guitarists who are no longer among us, and each band had a member that went on to the now-defunct band Eyes Adrift.