Sunday, March 15, 2009

AN ALT ROCK BEEF FROM THE MAN WHO BROUGHT YOU ROB HALFORD'S TWO

So, Trent Reznor has weighed in on Chris Cornell's Scream, and he
doesn't dig it! Trent was hating on it on twitter: "You know that feeling you get when somebody embarrasses themselves so badly YOU feel uncomfortable? Heard Chris Cornell's record? Jesus." Ouch! While I've generally been pretty positive about Scream, there are parts that I don't like, and I kind of get what Trent is getting at. The first song starts off with Chris singing about "that bitch ain't a part of me." If I hadn't have heard some of the other songs, I may have stopped right there.

When I was younger, I probably would have been less tolerant of Chris Cornell's "new direction." I love that Trent hasn't mellowed much as he's gotten older. On the other hand, his label, nothing records, brought you Rob Halford's 2wo project. I'm a fan of Rob's, I definitely dig a lot of Judas Priest's music, Fight were pretty rocking, and I saw his band Halford once and they rocked. But 2wo was kind of silly. BUT: after Fight, which saw Rob positioning himself towards a new metal fan base (notably Pantera's), 2wo was a sort of departure from metal. After that, he got back to his roots, first with Halford and then by reuniting with Judas Priest. He needed to do something different for a while. I'm not saying that this album will result in Chris Cornell reuniting with Soundgarden, but I'm just saying that sometimes artists need to take a left turn. Nothing put out some other lame records also, but I don't want to slam anyone. Apparently, Chris usually posts cryptic stuff, and hasn't responded directly. Which is cool, that would be a goofy beef.



No comments: