Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A CLARIFICATION ABOUT CHRIS CORNELL

My post last night about Chris Cornell has sparked some emotions. Let me clarify: I'll always be a fan. I'm going to buy the album. I hope I like it. If I don't, that's OK too. I don't love his other solo albums either (they both have good songs, but I don't regard either of them as classics on the level of Soundgarden or Temple Of The Dog). I don't love every Bob Dylan album, or every Prince album or every Neil Young album.

I think it is smart that he's trying something new artistically, and also looking to a new audience: the '90s alt rock audience are the next classic rock crowd. They don't necessarily care about hearing new music. I think Chris is clever to look to other audiences, especially if that's where his muse is taking him. I'm not a snob, but seeing him onstage as part of Timbaland's Fall '08 line with One Republic and The Pussycat Dolls made me cringe a bit. After David Cook proves himself as an artist and not just a contest winner, I might be OK with Chris writing him a song (but the fact that Chris collaborated with a guy who writes for Hinder is a bit embarassing too).

But whatever, Chris has nothing to prove to me or anyone else. I'm just looking forward to the album, and I hope it's great.

No comments: