Monday, May 5, 2008

GRETCHEN WILSON GRADUATES

Congratulations to Gretchen Wilson for getting her high school diploma. She dropped out of school when she was younger. But now, despite the fact that she's sold tons of records and is a millionaire country star, she wanted to set a good example for her daughter by studying for and passing her
General Educational Development exam.
I interviewed Ms. Wilson right before her debut album came out: it was in 2004, and her first single, "Redneck Woman," was a smash. Lots of people - particularly in the press - were referring to her as the "anti-Shania." I asked her about it, and she wasn't having any of it. She felt that they weren't that different: they both came from very poor beginnings, and were determined to make it. I'm sure lots of journalists would have loved for her to take potshots at Shania, but she wouldn't go for it. I told her that I wasn't actually very familiar with Shania's music, but I liked her then-new version of Dolly Parton's "Coat Of Many Colors" from the Just Because I'm A Woman tribute album. She said that the fact that Shania knew the song should shut the critics up. Anyway, congrats again, Gretchen.

No comments: