Wednesday, February 27, 2008

THE WHO TO WORK WITH T-BONE?


According to The Who's website, Pete and Rog are already thinking about the next album. Considering that there was about a quarter of a century between It's Hard and Endless Wire, that's pretty good. Here's what Pete Townshend says:
"... We also talked about revisiting Quadrophenia the way we did it in the '90s. This is all work for the Autumn. Roger is working on his own idea for an album for us, with the producer T-Bone Burnett, who is an old friend of mine. I am hoping to come up with some songs for a more conventional Who record."
Well, I never saw that Quadrophenia tour, and I didn't really miss it, as I'd rather see them do songs from their entire history than focus on that album. Or, I'd rather see them do Tommy. But the idea of them doing an album with T-Bone Burnett is pretty cool. Pete Townshend is a great producer, but I think it would benefit him to have someone else in the studio who has the authority to say "no" or "that's not a great idea" to someone who probably never hears that.
T-Bone Burnett produced the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss album, and if he could handle Plant, he could probably handle Townshend. And the idea of Pete writing songs for a different Who album, that's pretty cool too. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed with Endless Wire, but I'd still be excited by the prospect of a new Who album.

No comments: