Sunday, February 3, 2008

TOM PETTY: NO GIMMICKS NEEDED

I was suprised when I heard the NFL had asked Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers to play the Super Bowl Half Time show. But good call by whoever had the idea: they rocked it. Four songs, no gimmicks, no guests: "American Girl," "I Won't Back Down," "Free Fallin'" and "Runnin' Down A Dream." Kind of funny that three of the four songs came from Tom's 1989 solo album Full Moon Fever, which his then label (MCA) didn't think was commercial enough to release.

What a great "promo" for Tom's summer tour. They sells tons of tickets anyway, but this might remind people who haven't been paying attention about how great the band is. I kind of wish they did some newer stuff, even something from his last solo album, Highway Companion, so that all the songs wouldn't be, like 19 years old but whatever. Last year's Prince's set was awesome, and everyone loved it, but the only recent song he did was a cover of the Foo Fighters' "Best Of You."

I'm curious to see how Tom's ticket sales are tomorrow, when most of the tour goes on sale. I know I'll be at one of the shows.

No comments: