Wednesday, February 20, 2008

COMMON WORKING ON A NEW ALBUM

MTV is reporting that Common is already working on the follow-up to last year's Finding Forever, which was one of the best albums of the year, in my opinion. 

I wish Common had Jay-Z's level of success.  Of course, he's not as good of a marketer, and is more artistically ambitious. Which is why I'm glad that he has had a decent run of good fortune in recent years: from hooking up with Kanye West, who exec-produced his last two albums, to getting some sweet acting gigs, including the recent American Gangster.  He's also going to be in the upcoming adaptation of the very cool comic book series Wanted, and he's supposedly going to play Green Lantern in the Justice League movie, if that movie ever happens. 

He says in the MTV interview (linked above) that being in films frees up his music a bit. I guess some might think that when an artist "goes Hollywood," they try and water down their music to be the biggest star to the most people.  I don't think Common is wired like that: I think he knows that he'll end up making way more on movies than on music, so why not be as ambitious as possible with his music, since the bills are being paid anyway. 

So, I'm looking forward to Common's new album, as well as his upcoming project with another of the great MCs of all time, Q-Tip

No comments: