Tuesday, October 30, 2007

HELP!

I've never seen The Beatles' movie Help!, so I'm looking forward to the release of the film on DVD.

Of course, the soundtrack, like nearly all of The Beatles' catalog, is classic - it has great songs like "I've Just Seen A Face," "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away," "The Night Before" and the title track.

But, like a lot of Beatles fans, I was too young to experience them when they were around (they broke up the year I was born). I never get tired of watching footage of them: I have A Hard Day's Night on DVD, as well as The Beatles Anthology. There's just something really cool about seeing them back then: it's like watching Jimi Hendrix - a guy, or group of guys, who you will never actually get to see in real life, but you've seen so many pictures, and of course heard the music... but to see them is just a different thing. It's seems so far removed from today's world, that it almost seems like a cartoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of Help! -- (I still have the copy I taped off USA back in the 90s) but be prepared for a totally different experience from watching Hard Day's Night.

I consider HDN to be a great film - in turns funny and earnest, good story and really well-shot.

Help! is pure silliness - ala "The Monkees." Don't come at it expecting great art (or plotlines). It's a fun romp and you can probably stop watching 3/4 way through because the story descends into sheer stupidity, but again, it's really beautifully shot and of course, the music is great.

I was also excited to see the release listed - and I will be picking it up ASAP....Enjoy!