Monday, September 10, 2007

THE E STREET (TICKET) SHUFFLE (part 1?)

All right, so it's 32 years later than the show advertised in this poster, and they're playing larger places than the late Bottom Line. But Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band are still as great as they ever were, I think. Do they play like 20-somethings? No, they're all in their 50's (at least). But I went to see them seven times on their tour for The Rising (once at the Garden in 2002, then in 2003 five times at Giants Stadium and once at Shea). They were unbelievably great. And they changed the setlist up every night. I saw Bruce once on his solo acoustic tour for Devils And Dust and it was amazing (way better than his Ghost Of Tom Joad tour from 1995, which was pretty dry). And Bruce's tour with The Seeger Sessions Band last year was a blast.

But I'm glad he's back with an electric guitar and ready to rock. Today, tickets went on sale for two nights at the Continental Airlines Arena and two for the Garden. They all sold out in 23 minutes. I nabbed a pair - top level, almost the last row, behind the stage - but at least I'll be there. I can't wait. I expect he may add some area dates, and that he'll come back and do ten (or so) nights at Giants Stadium next summer. I have so many friends who say "I've always meant to go see him..." If you have the chance, go see him. You won't regret it. He doesn't just rely on past hits - of course, he plays a bunch, but there are no songs that you're guaranteed to hear, it's not like the Stones with "Satisfaction" or something. He also pulls out some rarities, and he also challenges his audience politically. He has some pretty Republican fans (I've never really gotten that) who hate some of his recent music and some of the things that he's said on stage and in the press. You've got to give him credit - he doesn't have to do any of that, but the man wants to use his status to do the right thing. I hope he endorses someone in 2008.

No comments: